Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Let's do some living after we die. . .

I've become increasingly conscious of time as of late.
Time running out, time passing by, waiting for the right time, and arriving on time.
The only saving grace or a secret release from time would be the simple pleasures that you allow yourself to enjoy, to keep you sane and to also keep you happy.  If happy was a continuum, I often wonder if it would be bi-polar - teetering on the extremes from time to time, it balances delicately, precariously, while we all hold our breath.

Listening to old songs appeals to the old soul in me from time to time. (Aha!  Did you see what I did there?).  Wild Horses written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richard, recorded by The Rolling Stones from their 1971 album, but re-released in the mid 90s, absolutely does this for me.  There have been many cover versions of this classic.  I am particularly fond of the Alicia Keys and Adam Levine  version.  Wild Horses reminds me of Loma. I like to think that he is happy where he is, that if he could have stayed a little while longer, he would have stayed.  That even wild horses couldn't drag him away.

I know I've dreamed you a sin and a lie
I've got my freedom but I don't have much time
But faith has been broken, tears must be cried
Let's do some living, after love dies

It has been a challenge to maintain strength.  There will be good days and bad days.
You will be more resilient on some occasions more than others.
Some days you will burst into tears because a memory was triggered and sudden realisation hits.

I often think about that Latin adage Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  Who will guard the guards?
I think about my old Latin teacher, Mrs. Barlow talking about political corruption and the connection between this phrase and Juvenal or Plato.  I take it to mean - who will inspire the inspirers?

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild wild horses we'll ride them someday