Sunday, 27 April 2014

I've got a right to be wrong . . .

In the past week we had the pleasure of having Joss Stone and India Arie tour our Aotearoa shores.
Joss Stone started her music career at the tender age of 16 and her smash hit Right to be wrong is one of my favourite songs.  Her soulful voice reminds me of the tenderness found in another legend: Janis Joplin.

I love this song because it speaks about your personal growth, challenging you to consider that even though you have made mistakes in your life, you have the power to grow and learn, to move on in your life and enjoy being taken to new places that you possibly would never have dreamed of going (or allowed yourself permission to go).

I've got a right to be wrong
My mistakes will make me strong
I'm stepping out into the great unknown
I'm feeling wings though I've never flown

Musically the song changes during this next section of the song:
You're entitled to your opinion
But it's really my decision
I can't turn back I'm on a mission
If you care, don't you dare blur my vision
Let me be all that I can be
Don't smother me with negativity
Whatever's out there waiting for me
I'm going to face it willingly

For some of us, the very people who may be holding us back from living our true destinies - may be those who are nearest and dearest to us - if you care, don't you dare blur my vision.  This may be especially true when you are embarking on a journey that few people have ventured on, and just because nobody has made the journey before you, does it make it wrong?  I've got got a right to be wrong signifies to me that if someone stands in your way and stops you from doing what you want to pursue for yourself, you have that right to be wrong - even if it doesn't pan out - at least you've made a go of it.

I've got a right to be wrong
I've been held down too long
I've got to break free
So I can finally breathe

Gotta sing my own song
I might be singing out of key
But it sure feels good to me
I've got a right to be wrong
So just leave me alone

So don't be the vision blurrer, the smotherer with the  negativity or the person who holds people down.
Everyone has a right to be wrong.