Thursday, 24 April 2014

If you're lost and you look. . . you will find me. . .

The tendency may be to think about the obvious romantic overtones that are normally associated with this song. Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time is considered pop and new wave, a genre made famous by the constant marketing afforded by MTV and the post-punk era. Out of all of her songs, of course Girls just wanna have fun is a great party song that has also had some great remixes and covers of it - for me, it doesn't get past the heart-rending emotion of Time After Time.

In recent weeks I've been trying to catch up with friends who I haven't seen in a while, some in years. It made me think about the friends that you have in your life.  There will be some friends that you won't necessarily need to see for a long time. I like to cheesily (yes that's a neologism, what of it?) refer to them as my "forever friends" (if only because of the obvious alliteration as a memory device) or my "perennial pals" (you see where I'm going here).

The drum beats out of time

Friends are interesting people, because dependent on how well they know you (because you've shared enough intimate information about yourself, or stupidly did so in a drunken stupor on a night that was rather boring so you had to resort to playing silly games to entertain yourselves - sorry I'm not speaking from experience here - I'm usually the sardonic observer sitting quietly in the corner watching the evening unravel and nobody notices I'm there unless there's a guitar in my hand or we're playing singing games - then it's no holds barred with the competitive streak there!).

Then you say go slow
I fall behind
The second hand unwinds

But that aside - sometimes we can get our "timing" wrong in a friendship.
You know what I'm talking about.
When you learn that harsh lesson when you might need to move on from a friend or group of friends, because they may not be the right mix of people for you, because they can hold you back from your dreams, or could be those quiet sardonic people in the corner secretly laughing at you - not me - I'm just saying, for example.  But you've given up so much of yourself and invested so much "time" in a friendship that did you more harm than good, was more unhealthy than healthy, made you feel worse about yourself than proud.

Or it could be the reverse.
When a friend that you hold dear, may choose to move on to the wrong mix of people who don't have his/her best interests at heart, but you can't say anything, because he/she is so adamant that they are making the right decisions for what suits him/her now - and won't hear you out.  What do you do then?

If you fall, I will catch you, I will be waiting
Time after time

Be a good friend - even when you're not considered a best friend.