Friday, 21 March 2014

You may say I'm a dreamer. . .but I'm not the only one. . .

Sitting this morning in Whangarei at the Digital Horizons Conference, a mass of secondary school teachers assembled, waiting in anticipation for the event to start.  The hall buzzed with electricity, the kind of electricity that only a full day dedicated to professional learning could bring.
As we continued to wait, a song rang out across the hall.  It made me smile.  People started to sing along to the well-known melody of Imagine by the great John Lennon.

It was one of the earliest pop songs I learned how to play.
The simplicity of the harmonic structure cleverly disguises the complexity of the lyrics it accompanies.

I hope some day you will join us
And the world will live as one

When I think about the lyrics John sings about, he is asking us to imagine the world without the things that in his lifetime helped to define it - religion, war, the divide between rich and poor.

In the context of the conference, it made me think about how we as educators can help children and learners to imagine, to think about things that we never dreamed possible and think of life without limitations or restrictions.

In the context of my own life, it made me think about how I can continue to push boundaries and dare to dream, continue to dream and help others to dream.  Be a dream maker, dream weaver, not a dream breaker or a dream stealer.

The cynic in me knows that you need boundaries so things can be defined and labelled, easily understood.  But then I think about how I might need to know what boundaries are - so that I know what I'm pushing against.

I think that's why I have a ManuMission (see previous post) and must continue to remind myself to:
1. Identify like minds
2. Share your mission
3. Stay focused

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

Happy Birthday +Anthony Faitaua and thanks for helping me to set up my blog.