Sunday, 23 March 2014

You can speak your mind. . . but not on my time . . .

I watched an interview of Clint Eastwood on Ellen where he shared his views about becoming a Republican, and how in recent years the libertarian views that he affiliated his support to the party for in his youth has since eroded.  Eastwood talked about how he loved it when people just left each other alone, and this leaving of each other alone also included his stance on gay marriage, basically everyone can do what they want as long as they didn't harm others (and the government left them alone).

I don't care what you say anymore this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

You can often feel this way when people may spend a lot of time trying to help you live your life rather than focus on their own.  A bit of the 'take the speck out of your own eye' syndrome - perhaps.
I can understand that this can be frustrating, especially if you don't ask for people's input, but they are more than happy to give you some unwarranted, unwelcome or unsought-after feedback or advice.  Anybody could be forgiven for trying to be helpful.

I don't need you to worry for me cos I'm alright . . .
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home

You can have well-meaning, well-intentioned people in your life, the ones who, when they have a conversation with you, try their best to "fix you" (even when you didn't ask them to), because we all know that sometimes all someone needs to do is be a friend to listen to what you have to share or even just physically be there and not say a word.

Assumptions and stereotypes surround us on a daily basis because people can misread or misinterpret what you give out or share.  Being explicit about what you are about as a person, can be the most appropriate way of communicating what it is you really want to say.  I often see it as holding up a mirror of yourself but people only see the image or reflection rather than who you really are, or who they think you are trying to be.

I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I still belong, don't get me wrong

So I think sometimes it's ok for you to put down your mirror and show the world who you really are.
You could be in a room with a huge crowd of people and still feel isolated and not connected.
Even if it means that you must tell the world, those who frequent your world, to keep their opinions to themselves - at least for a short time anyway, until you let them know you're ready to hear.
Telling people what you think is definitely important, it's just that sometimes you might want to get to know them personally and on a deeper level to erase those assumptions and stereotypes.

You can speak your mind. . . but not on my time
(Keep it to yourself, it's my life)

Dedicated to +Janelle Riki.  Happy Birthday!  Hope you enjoy this post :-)