Saturday, 15 March 2014

Give me. . . one moment in time. . .

In many situations, you can only get one chance to prove yourself, maybe even prove who you are and what you are capable of achieving.  If you have been given a privileged position to lead a group of people, then the mantle of responsibility is much bigger, because it's not about you anymore, but more about how you will serve the people you are expected to guide and their wellbeing, thus more idioms rise to the surface, so the proof is in the pudding, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, you better make sure you know what the heck it is you are meant to be driving (or at least know how to drive, metaphorically if not physically!).

Over the past week I have been responsible for coordinating with the CORE Education Pasifika Team - relevant and engaging professional development about all things Pasifika for our co-workers.
It was many months of planning, many moons of thinking, many days of contemplation and meditation and often, many hours of wondering - are we missing anything here?  What if it's not good enough?  Will we be portraying accurate representations of all Pasifika?

Each day I live, I want to be
A day to give, the best of me
I'm only one, but not alone
My finest day is yet unknown. . .

After hosting four days of intense professional learning - I can proudly say that everybody involved gained some new insights about themselves (including ourselves) and the validation or affirmation of their prior knowledge.  Although tiring and demanding, our Pasifika Team could not lose sight of the challenges that we had to address in order to ensure that we gave of "our best" to our colleagues.  Pasifika nations - when they share the best of who they are - will spend a lot of time and preparation to pay tribute and honour their guests and value the individuals who come together to learn about their nations - hospitality is HUGE in our region.

Whenever I start to doubt whether I am being the best representation of a Pasifika person in whatever I do, I often think about Whitney Houston's Olympic anthem.  I think about the hopes and dreams that the song embodies and that we can all be "winners for a lifetime, if we seize that one moment in time, make it shine".

This blog post is dedicated to all of the CORE Pasifika Team +Ruta McKenzie
+Togi Lemanu +Anthony Faitaua +Teanau Tuiono +Shannon Vulu and CORE colleagues who all need to celebrate their "one moment in time" - all the time.