Sunday, 23 February 2014

When will you realize? Vienna waits for you . . .

At times when you can't escape to your virtual "happy place", the answer is to escape physically, at least for only a short period of time, a brief hiatus, if only to have some welcome relief for a couple of hours (it's funny as this beautiful song by Billy Joel Vienna rightly points that you have so much to do, but only so many hours in a day).

In his live performance on Conan, Joel's piano starts off with the wonderful dissonance created by those cluster notes and playful chromaticism before the sombre chords kick off the verses.  The lyrics paint a fantastic picture in my mind about the dichotomy in the lives that we lead - we are constantly sacrificing or compromising "really living" by putting work or our careers first, before family, relationships, things that make life interesting.

It's a bit of a chicken-egg, horse-cart (or whatever other animal analogy you want to use) - which do you prioritise?  Sure you can attend some life coaching seminars about how to balance your life, but unless you are really motivated to make that change, then nothing actually changes.

People that know me well, will know that I'm a bit of a workaholic. And I use "a bit" quite loosely.
I fully blame my mother for this - the hardest working woman I know who taught me from a very young age that I couldn't afford to waste time, hence spurring my love for multi-tasking, and school had a lot to answer for as well, by gaining that competitive edge for speed writing with Mr. Arnold in my final year of primary/elementary school (come to think of it, what teacher used a stopwatch to encourage kids to produce cursive writing the fastest in a blackboard exercise???).

I wouldn't mind losing a day or two sometimes, especially when it can often feel like everybody else around you seems to be kicking off before they're halfway through.  It is definitely the life that I lead and I often don't know what I need (until it's too late) and the other lyrics that strike a chord (no pun intended) include the reference to knowing when I'm wrong about something (if you're like me, there are people in your life who are more than accommodating in pointing this out) but not so sure if what I'm doing is right (unless someone tells me, reassurance.... check).

Whatever the case may be, it's definitely time to spend some "alone time" in Vienna.
Even if I have to constantly change where my personal Vienna is, the way I change passwords #security.

I realize that Vienna waits for me. . . but this crazy child just needs to slow down first . . .