Monday, 10 February 2014

Procrastination (Ain't Nobody Got Time)

Procrastination has always been the unwanted friend in my little circle of friends.
When I literally don't have time to procrastinate but yet I make time for it.
It defines my university career after my music degree (I was so conscientious back then that I completed that three year degree ...... in three years).

Have a listen of Flat 11's fantastic song Procrastination (Ain't Nobody Got Time).  
It reminds me about how much I can often make time for procrastination.  I love the opening of the song with its bluesy nature, it almost seems minstrel-like or reminiscent of Taco's Puttin' on the ritz with the autotune.

I keep wasting my time by staying up at night
I'd rather play before I work 
Till my room is bright and the sun hits my eyes
I realise it's just too late
I say it's all in my head, cos now it's time for bed
tomorrow will be a brighter day
But just one time, I need to do it again
Tomorrow gonna make it riiiiiiiiiight

Ohhh... Procrastination  Ohhh... Procrastination
Ohhh... Procrastination  Why you make me feel so bad?

Aint nobody got time for that  Aint nobody got time for that Aint nobody got time for that
Aint nobody got time for....
Aint nobody got time for that  Aint nobody got time for that Aint nobody got time for that
Aint nobody got time for....

Aint nobody got time for that
Aint nobody got time....

Some time is running out
I need to start working, there is no longer any doubt
The eeeend is closing in, no time for excuses need to hand it in
So I jump out of bed, it's almost 9 o'clock
I need to finish this line so I can walk the walk
I do what I do and I write what I say
It is what it is and now it's time to pray

I hit up some YouTube, hit up some NetFlix then hit up some Facebook too
There are so many other things I would love to do... do... do.... dooooooo

Ohhh... Procrastination  Ohhh... Procrastination
Ohhh... Procrastination  Why you make me feel so bad?

Aint nobody got time for that  Aint nobody got time for that
Aint nobody got time for that  Aint nobody got time for....
Aint nobody got time for that  Aint nobody got time for that
Aint nobody got time for that  Aint nobody got time for....

I love the lead guitar solo, the alto saxophone solo, before returning to the chorus...
It's a typical jazz structure of jamming at its best.

When life gets on top of you and you become "crazy busy", we can sometimes do more damage to ourselves than good, by putting off the tasks that only we can do or putting off tasks that if we don't do -  might be preventing other people from doing their job.

Well I guess that's enough procrastinating....at least now I can feel like I've accomplished something because it's been five days since my last blog post.

And besides, I need to finish this line so I can walk the walk....