Thursday, 2 January 2014

Who could it be? .....Believe it or not it's just me!

Continuing with my sheet music theme, when I think about the greatest TV theme songs that I enjoyed growing up with, I can't get past Mike Post.  I had sheet music for so many pieces he had written, such as L.A. Law, Hill Street Blues and Magnum P.I. He was also responsible for producing records by Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton and Van Halen in the 80s.  His most successful TV theme was for the hit show "The Greatest American Hero" which reached number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in its heyday.

I loved watching the bumbling hero Ralph Hinkley try to fly and learn how to help people using his powers (the costume wasn't helpful, but hey he had to work with what the aliens gave him) but he worked with his friends (the FBI agent and the lawyer) to foil the evil plans of the bad guys that he came across in his path.  I also think that the fact that he was a teacher also appeals to me more now as an adult as I was also a part of this illustrious yet undervalued profession (what's more important than teaching future generations of nations I say!).

When I compare TV themes of yesteryear with current TV themes, I really miss the lyrics, because to me that's what made the TV shows memorable.  The TV theme for "The Greatest American Hero" shows a montage of scenes of Ralph in his many adventures.  The lyrics for me speak about the fact that we are capable of greatness, even if we don't believe it sometimes, but that when we are handed opportunities, we must rise to the challenge.

Look at what's happened to me
I can't believe it myself
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world
Should've been somebody else

Believe it or not 
I'm walking on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me 

It's like the light of a new day
It came from out of the blue
Breaking me out of the spell I was in
Making all of my wishes come true

Believe it or not 
I'm walking on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me 

I watched the movie "Parkland" with my sister in law and thought that the director had handled the story of the events on the day of JFK's assassination from an angle that was previously not told in other films.  Tom Hanks was one of the producers of the film and his son Colin Hanks also starred alongside a great cast including Billy Bob Thornton and Marcia Gay Harden to name a few.

By focusing on the hospital and how people tried to save his life and bring themselves out of their normal everyday sense of selves was nothing short of superhuman or superhero-like.  Even the subplots of involving the impact of JFK's assassination on Robert Oswald, brother of Lee Harvey Oswald and the film footage of the assassination as recorded by an unassuming cameraman was brilliantly portrayed.

I guess for me it means that we can be the greatest versions of ourselves, we can be the greatest heroes in not just our lives, but for the lives of others in what we do everyday.
By doing this we can stop asking ourselves who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just YOU!