Friday, 24 January 2014

One day in your life . . .

I came across an old Valentine's card tonight that my husband had given me, completely by accident.
It was still in the envelope that he had given to me that day and he had written the words "My Musical Angel" on the front. I ran my fingers over the writing and took a moment to also run my eyes over the letters one by one before opening it to read what he had written.  Thinking about it now, when I read his nickname for me, I would never have dreamed that he would become an angel first.

Memories of our last Valentine's Day spent together quickly rose to the surface (as did the tears) and as I read the words on the card, it brought back vivid feelings and images of his smile, his excitement that we had the day to spend together and just enjoying each other's company.  I didn't realise it would be the last Valentine's Day with him but one thing is for sure, it's the only other day in my life that comes close to our wedding day.

Reading the card also reminded me of Michael Jackson's One day in your life.  If I had a song that was the soundtrack to that last Valentine's Day and even right now while reading the card again, this would be the song.  My favourite performance is of his live concert in Mexico City in 1975 during a tour.

The thing about a live performance is the insight you have into an artist by the way in which they connect with an audience.  This is reflected in this Mexico City performance, how Michael tells the audience about why he loves ballads, because the slow tempo helps the listener to focus on the lyrics.

I love how Michael is such a consummate performer with the skills to improvise with his "no... no.... no" during the instrumental interlude where you would normally hear the background vocals singing the "la la la la la" in that sweeping way.  I love the musical arrangement and how the violins play the melodic line in the interlude. But when Michael resumes singing after the interlude, the way that he improvises on the word "heart"(see below) serves as a reminder to me of Loma's heart:
You'll remember me somehow
Though you don't need me now
I will stay in your heart
And when things fall apart
You'll remember one day

One day in your life, 
when you find that you're always lonely
For the love we used to share
Just call my name and I'll be there

Live each day like it's that one day in your life.
It will give me, you, us, hope to know that one day we shall meet again.